TempusGameIt: Auto-import is in dev
Did some hacking this week and finished building out auto-import of games into the TempusGameIt catalog. ICYMI, the import works like this:
- Pull down the latest version of Discord's detectable's file, which contains game executables by platform (Windows, OSX, Linux), and the Steam ID
- Lookup games in TGI by the Steam ID to see if they have been imported.
- If we haven't imported them, hit the IGDB API to pull the game metadata by Steam ID. This gets us the name, description, box art, platforms, and genres
- Store the IGDB metadata along with the executable information from Discord in the TGI catalog
|It's full of stars!|
This sudden explosion of games in the catalog has led to a much more interesting view on the games page, as there are now all sorts of titles that I haven't ever heard of.
- Filtering by name
- Filtering by genre
- Filtering by what I logged time against
- Sorting by most popular
- Sorting by newest
- Improving the API that serves the catalog to the client so we're not blocking the client as badly when sending down a big update
I also experienced mismatches on my local machine, where the scanner would find "launcher.exe" and associate it with a game that I didn't have.
|:til: about Aura Kingdom|
Interestingly enough, Discord solves this by including the parent directory in their executable, which means that I can fix this by taking this into account when path matching in the client.
All in all, some great progress made and I think this will help a lot if more people are interested in trying it out.
As always, you can see what's on tap by visiting the Trello board.